Eco Babe's Eco-Cosmetics
Make-up can be a lot of fun, but sometimes what we don’t know might hurt us. Most common brands of make-up, lotions, shampoos, and other body products contain chemicals that we don’t really want to be putting on our skin. For example;
• Parabens- used as a preservative in many lotions and hair products, these may disrupt our hormones, which could affect our reproductive system.
• Phthalates found in nail polish, these may also disrupt our hormones. If you see the word “fragrance” in the ingredient list, know that phthalates are sometimes contained in them.
• Lead a well-known nerve toxin, has recently been found in many common brands of lipstick
• Aluminum - associated with risk of Alzheimer’s disease, is found in all common anti-perspirants which stop you from sweating (not necessarily in “” which just stop you from smelling)
Want to know more? See safecosmetics.org
Ecobabe’s Favorite Body products:
Thankfully, many companies are now catching on to the consumer demand for safer cosmetics, so there are plenty of brands you can find at health food stores and some cosmetic stores that are free of the above chemicals.
Here are just some examples of hundreds available:
A bit more expensive:
• Dr. Hauschka
• Jane Iredale
At Health Food Stores:
• Kiss My Face (body products & make-up)
• Aubrey Organics (body products)
• Jason (body products)
• Afterglow mineral make-up
• NoMiss nail polish
• Suncoat nail polish
At the Mall:
• Origins (look for the totally natural line)
At CVS ad Rite Aid Drug Stores:
• Organic Wear, by Physician’s Formula
• Burt’s Bees
At the Salon:
• Aveda Ecobabe’s favorite to keep her red hair healthy! Always has been more eco-friendly, even with packaging, and now coming out with more and more fully chemical-free products.
• Ask for OPI nail polish (for salons)